Survival of the Fittest NFL Style: Week 13 Survivor Pick
For entertainment purposes only, I’m updating my 2009 NFL survivor picks here every week. The rules are simple. Pick a team to win each week. If they win, move on. Of course you can’t pick the same team twice in the same regular season. If you want to read the entire post and each week’s picks and analysis, click here. If you don’t care (and I completely understand if you don’t, since those weeks have passed and we really should just be looking forward, right?), then here’s a quick recap of my strategy.
Rule #1: Focus on the Negative
Rather than focus on what teams are good, focus on what teams are bad (and in some cases, really really bad). And there are plenty of them. St. Louis, Cleveland, Kansas City, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Detroit. If those teams (dubbed the “Sucky Six”) are not able to lose (if I’ve already picked their opponent), then consider the match-ups. And all bets are literally off when one plays another (St. Louis v. Detroit in Week 8? No. Thank. You.)
Rule #2: Don’t Save a Team
Remember: don’t worry about “saving” a team for later. You can’t advance to the next week unless you survive this week. If there’s a sure thing involving one of the elite teams over one of the Sucky Six, take it. Don’t get eliminated because you left an elite team (i.e., New Orleans, Indy, Minnesota) on the table in hopes of using them later in the season.
I’m also keeping track of the teams I’ve used each week in a separate post.
So without further ado, here’s this week’s Survivor Pick:
Chicago (over St. Louis)
- This week’s nominees: San Diego (at Cleveland), Pittsburgh (v. Oakland), Cincinnati (v. Detroit), Chicago (v. St. Louis), Carolina (v. Tampa Bay)
- I’ll admit it. This is my toughest week yet, since we’re now late in the season and many of the top teams are gone.
- I’ve already used San Diego, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, so those teams are out, and I’m left with Chicago or Carolina.
- Let’s be honest: neither Chicago or Carolina are locks. At all. But they are the best options available because they are playing two of the Sucky Six.
- Carolina may actually be better without Jake (“I Can’t Throw Any Picks with a Broken Thumb”) Delhomme, forcing them to just run run run with Williams and Stewart. But Tampa has shown signs of life. And Carolina is pretty bad.
- Now I need to talk myself into Chicago. Here are the pros: 1) they’re playing the Rams, 2) they are at home, 3) they’re playing the Rams, 4) Cutler and Forte are way overdue for good games, 5) they’re playing the Rams. Here are the cons: 1) Jay Cutler is terrible, 2) Matt Forte is terrible, 3), Lovie Smith is terrible, 4) the Bears are terrible.
- I have to stick with my formula. St. Louis is the suckiest of the Sucky Six. Thus, Chicago is my survivor pick.
- If you have Cincinnati or Pittsburgh available, please please use them.
See you next week. I hope.